Ever wanted to run along The Great Wall of China, up the Empire State Building, across the Sahara Desert or join thousands of runners in a major city road race? World's Ultimate Running Races, published by Collins, is the book that has these and more; its list of 500 of the most adrenaline-filled, awe-inspiring, classic running races, across the world, is the runner's guide.
World's Ultimate Running Races charts everything from 5 km races in city centres to marathons across mountain ranges. It includes each race's location, timings, the type of climate and terrain, and how one can enter. Packed full of illustrations, photographs and maps, this compendium not only informs its readers, but gives them a pictorial taste of the event they might experience.
Races in 101 countries feature in the book, including the USA, Britain, France, Italy, Spain, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. This is the most comprehensive book available for experts and aspiring athletes alike, whetting their appetite for races to come while allowing them to tick already completed races off their list.
Examples of the breath-taking, classic races:
- London's picturesque Parliament Hill hosts the mud and drama of the English cross country championships
- Cross four countries, reaching more than 15,000 meters in altitude on the spectacular Transalpine run
- Brazil's Jungle marathon requires competitors to sleep in hammocks along the Amazon coast while testing their running endurance
- Hong Kong, Delhi and Chicago are just a few of the amazing cities where you can take part in a road marathon
- Undoubtedly the coldest race on the planet, the North Pole Marathon is not for the faint-hearted
- The famous Ekiden relays in Japan, with participants competing in teams, is held between Hakone and Tokyo
- Scale the height of the Empire State Building in a test of nerve as well as athleticism, in New York's popular stair race
- The British Milers Club hosts races all over the UK, and all ages can enter, from under 15s to senior citizens
- Combine exploring one of the wonders of the world while running a marathon on the Great Wall of China
- Challenge yourself in the heat of the Death Valley in the Badwater Ultramarathon: follow the scenic, twisting road through the towering red rocks of the Titus Canyon
About the editors:
The list is compiled by Angela Mudge who is a world champion mountain runner and skyrunner; amongst her achievements is winning the World Masters Mountaineering Championship and being named in The Observer's list of '100 things we still love about sport'. Angela is joined by the contribution of some of the world's leading runners including Kilian Jornet, Mara Yamauchi, Hugh Jones and Jonathan Wyatt.
- World's Ultimate Running Races
- Published Monday 29th September 2011
- Delivery and Returns
Orders received before 2pm are processed on the same day - after 2pm orders will be processed on the next working day.
For deliveries to the UK, we offer the following options:
Method Time Cost Service Sprint Next working day £6 Courier / Royal Mail Run 2-3 working days £3 Royal Mail 1st Class Jog 4-7 working days Free Royal Mail 2nd Class Saturday Delivery 1 working day £12 Royal Mail Click & Collect 1-2 Working days Free
Click & Collect
Collect your order in person from the achilles heel Glasgow running shop. Orders placed before 2pm will be available for collection on the next working day; orders placed after 2pm will be available for collection in 2 working days. Orders placed over the weekend will be available for collection on the Tuesday.
As soon as your order is ready for collection we will email to let you know. When you collect your order please ensure you bring your order confirmation & identification.
We'll package and post your order to most locations across the world as quickly as we can - for full details of delivery charges for international orders check our delivery charges page.
Spend £200+ and get FREE EU delivery.
At achilles heel we aim to please, so if you're not completely satisfied with your order, we'll do whatever we can to make it better. Goods can be returned for an exchange or a refund within 28 days of purchase. Please print, complete and return the returns form with your returned goods. For full details on our returns policy please check our returns page.